Whether you’re planting a vegetable or flower garden, the garden experts at The Dees’ Nursery has mapped out this guide to your success. Just follow these simple steps and you’ll be reaping the benefits of a thriving home garden in no time.
Gardening Supplies: Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 bale of PEAT MOSS (2.2 Cu. Ft.)
- 1 bag of BUMPER CROP (2 Cu. Ft.)
- 1 bag of CHICKITY DOO DOO (25 Lb. Bag)
- 1 bag of Espoma Plant Tone organic fertilizer (4 Lb Bag)
- 1 bag of Espoma Bio-Tone Starter Plus (4 Lb Bag)
- 1 bag of Mag-i-Cal (4.5 Lb Bag) or 10 Lbs of Lime
- Shovel, cultivator, and a rake
Keep in mind these amounts are for a garden measuring 10ft. x 10ft. Adjust the amounts accordingly for larger gardens.
Some of these products are available online and all of them are available at our Long Island location.
Once you have all of your supplies, here’s what you’ll need to do to prepare you soil for gardening:
- Empty the entire contents of each bag evenly over the top of the soil
- Use your shovel (a spade would work best) and turn the soil going 8- 12 inches deep
- Use the cultivator and break up any large clumps of soil so it is loose and fluffy
- Use your rake and level the soil in the garden area so when you water, puddles won’t form (water flows to the lowest level)
Now that your soil is prepared, planting can begin! Here are a few helpful guidelines:
- Planting can start the same day.
- Before you plant, consider using landscape fabric. This will prevent weeds from germinating but lets the water flow thru.
- Read the labels of the plants so you space them correctly.
- After you plant, consider using mulch over the soil. Mulch will help prevent weeds, it helps retain moisture, plus it is decorative.
- Water and fertilize correctly during the growing season for maximum results.
The Dees’ Nursery hopes these tips get you underway to a beautiful and thriving garden. Visit our experts in our Garden Center or shop online for all of your gardening needs.