What You’ll Need:
- 1 large pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, diced small
- 1 Granny Smith apple [peeled and diced small]
- 2 teaspoons of oregano
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 lbs. of acorn squash seeded, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth (optional); substitute a vegetable broth if on vegan diet
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- chopped scallions for garnish
Step by Step:
- Remove pumpkin meat from pumpkin and discard seeds (or save them to roast).
- Put the pumpkin meat in a large bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter and sauté the onions, apple and oregano with pumpkin pie spice for 7 – 10 minutes.
- Add the acorn squash and the pumpkin meat and sauté for another 5-10 minutes to ensure squash is softened.
- Stir in the stock (vegetable or chicken), along with the pepper and salt.
- Place on low heat for 20 – 25 minutes.
- When the squash begins to fall apart this is done.
- Using an immersion stick blender or food processor, blend until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the pumpkin shell, add the cream and the purée.
- Bake for 30 35 minutes, covering the top of the pumpkin with foil.
- When ready to serve, garnish with scallions and serve the soup right out of the top of the pumpkin.
Hint: for a nice twist, serve with cheddar cheese grated over it.
Fall Pumpkin Recipe by Rickey Esto
What You Will Need:
4 Large In-Season Tomatoes of your choice
1/2 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
2 Pounds Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
Ground Black Pepper
Slice all the tomatoes into 1/4″ thick slices. Slice the Fresh Mozzarella into 1/4″ slices. Arrange a slice of tomato & mozzarella with a leaf of Fresh Basil on each cheese slice. Go all the way around the platter until the platter is full. Drizzle Olive Oil, then Balsamic Vinegar over the arranged platter, sprinkle sea salt and ground pepper over platter. This can be used as an appetizer or a dinner accompaniment. Best served at room temperature! Enjoy!
Many years ago there was a restaurant, the Brown Derby that offered a Cobb Salad, know one knew what that salad was, but everyone wanted it and wanted to make it at home, now you can. Here is the recipe:
1 head of lettuce, diced small
4 Tomatoes, diced small
1 Onion, diced small
4 Hard Boiled Eggs, diced small
1 Avocado, diced small
1 lb of bacon, fried crisp
1/2 lb of Chicken, baked or fried
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1/2 Cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
Place the diced lettuce, onion, and tomatoes, egg and avocado in a bowel.Take the cooked bacon, and chicken place on top, toss and set aside. In a bowl take mayonnaise and blue cheese and mix well. Add to salad just before serving! The best salad you ever will have!
What You Will Need:
2 red onions, diced
6 large tomatoes, diced
3 sweet red bell peppers, diced
2 jalapeño peppers, chopped fine
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Course salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover with wrap and chill for 2 hours. Serve with choice of chips or crusty bread!
Fresh Basil Pesto
Nothing says Italy In Spring like fresh Basil Pesto to use on pasta, sandwiches, or as an addition to dips! This very easy and oh so delicious recipe will keep everyone coming back for more!
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup Parmesan- cheese (about 2 ounces)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 3 teaspoons)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a food processor or blender place basil, cheese, pine nuts [if food allergy to pine nuts, omit them], garlic, salt & pepper. Blend until all ingredients are well combined. In the top of the processor or blender, while on low setting, slowly pour the olive oil in until well combined. Place the pesto in a covered container and refrigerate for up to one week, or freeze indefinitely for future use.
How to use on pasta: Combine hot pasta with pasta til the pasta is evenly coated and serve immediately!
Vodka Thyme Lemonade
3 Lemon Wedges
2 oz Ketel One Citroen Vodka
2 oz Lemon-Thyme Syrup
1 Splash Club Soda
1 Sprig Fresh Thyme, preferably lemon thyme
Run 1 lemon wedge over the rim of a 12 oz highball glass; dip the rim into sugar. Reserve the lemon wedge. Put the remaining 2 lemon wedges in a cocktail shaker. Muddle hard, breaking the lemon skins to release their oils. Add Syrup, Vodka and Ice. Cover and shake. Pour the mixture into the sugar-rimmed highball glass, lemon wedges and all. Top off with club soda, the squeeze the reserved lemon wedge over before dropping it into the glass. Garnish with the thyme sprig and serve immediately.